Tustin MCAS Blimp Hangars
Construction Began 1942. Built to house blimps which patrolled the coast for protection against enemy submarines during World War II. Worlds largest wood-framed structures. Steel was not available during World War II. That is why they were constructed of wood.
- Length 1,000 feet
- Clear span at the top of the abutments is 234.5 feet.
- Clear area is 234,500 square feet (5.4 acres)
- Clear height at the crown 157 feet (15 stories)
The Tustin Marine Corps Air Station was designated an Orange County Local Historical Civil Engineering Landmark in 1987 and designated a National Historical Civil Engineering Landmark in 1994. The plaques were removed when the US Marines decommissioned the base. The Orange County Branch hopes to rededicate the plaque in 2013 as part of our 60th anniversary.
The City of Tustin created a video of the history of the blimp hangars, including some footage of construction.
If you prefer to read the City of Tustin also prepared this document that is available in PDF format (Click on image to follow link).
In addition, ASCE Civil Engineering Magazine had an article on the Blimp Hangars in the October 2012 issue CLICK HERE
Copyright © 2023 ASCE Orange County, California Branch. All Rights Reserved.
Designed and developed by Jub Jub Interactive.