Mission Buildings of San Juan Capistrano
The mission buildings were built beginning in 1778. The principal structures existing include the church, two warehouses, a shop, military barracks, the missionary quarters, and kitchen.
In 1783 the military commander requested that a water supply system be built. Water system included closed gravity water conduits for transporting fresh water to the Mission facilities from a nearby stream.
The buildings are the oldest known standing unreinforced structures in California. Constructed utilizing adobe brick as a structural material and arch design. Oldest planned industrial center in California. Industrial operation included tallow making, wine making, wrought iron foundry, weaving mills, brick and tile firing, a grainary, cheese factory, and cattle raising.
The San Juan Capistrano Mission was designated as an Orange County Local Historical Civil Engineering Landmark in 1992 and a bronze plaque was presented at the site in 1993.
Copyright © 2023 ASCE Orange County, California Branch. All Rights Reserved.
Designed and developed by Jub Jub Interactive.