- VF Outdoor, Inc.
- Sustainable Engineering Project of the Year
- Additional Files
- Additional Information
Vans Headquarters 2
- Project Location:
1588 South Coast Drive, Costa Mesa, CA
- Project Description:
Vans, a global lifestyle brand with footwear and apparel lines is expanding their campus which is located in Costa Mesa, CA. The expansion calls for the addition of a three story 90,000 SF building, a three level 354 stall parking structure and exterior amenities to support pedestrian circulation, company wide gatherings, outdoor fitness and includes a “half-pipe” skate ramp. The project exceeds solar infrastructure and EV parking requirements and is obtaining LEED certification.
- Project Justification:
The Vans headquarters 2 project did not set minimum code requirements as the benchmark. The client desired to expand their solar energy generation capabilities and provide shading to nearly all parked cars on their large parking field.
The client desired bridge connections linking the 2nd and 3rd floors of the buildings together. Seismic challenges and footing conflicts were evaluated, and engineered solutions were provided.
Design team coordination was key with multiple professionals creating construction documentation for the office building, parking structure, solar array, and site construction.
The project managed stormwater management requirements in a discreet manner while providing full permit compliance.
- Special Circumstances:
The Vans HQ2 project maintained a client first and team orientated environment with all design team and construction personnel. Coordination amongst the design team and construction team occurred in an open environment with the goal of project success.
Significant challenges occurred during permitting with the authorities having jurisdiction. Public infrastructure improvements were requested and required for project approval near plan approval.
Project is in the process of completing LEED gold certification.
- Project Attachments:
Goal: Human Experience
- Create a high performance work environment that provides daylight and quality views to interior spaces. Develop the campus in a manner that promotes a strong indoor / outdoor connection. The project as a whole should promote Vans identity as an active lifestyle brand.
Goal: Human Health and Wellness
- Program includes both interior and exterior fitness spaces. Per LEED Certification Requirements indoor environmental quality will be a focus of the project.
Goal: Water and Energy
- Project will look to achieve indoor water conservation that is 40% better than baseline. Site design will include high efficiency irrigation and native and adaptive plantings to decrease potable water consumption. Building will look to maximize energy efficiency. Existing PV array will be relocated and potentially expanded.
- Project design solution will add a high performance building to the existing Vans campus and add exterior spaces that support their active culture. As a whole the campus expansion will enhance the experience of Vans employees and reinforce their identity as a global lifestyle brand.
- Award Citation::
Vans, a global lifestyle brand with footwear and apparel lines is expanding their campus which is located in Costa Mesa, CA. The expansion calls for the addition of a three story 90,000 SF building, a three level 354 stall parking structure and exterior amenities to support pedestrian circulation, company wide gatherings, outdoor fitness and includes a “half-pipe” skate ramp.
- Suggested Award Summary:
This needs to be approved by our marketing department and Owner. We will provide when necessary.
2021 Project Awards
2021 Candidate Awards
Copyright © 2023 ASCE Orange County, California Branch. All Rights Reserved.
Designed and developed by Jub Jub Interactive.