Academic Year 2020-2021
DEADLINE TO SUBMIT ALL APPLICATIONS: October 15th, 2020.
- Civil Engineering Major.
- Junior or Senior attending CSUF, CSULB or UCI.
- ASCE Member for at least one year.
- A recommendation letter from an ASCE Faculty Advisor is strongly preferred.
- College transcripts (or equivalent certified by the Faculty Advisor).
- Proof of Registration for Event. Please print your registration for the event and include it in your application.
- A 4-7 minute video presentation. Please include a web-link to your video in your application package.
- Topic: With ASCE’s initiative on Future World Vision (https://www.futureworldvision.org/), what design challenges and opportunities as a civil engineer seem most exciting to you? Please include any additional information about yourself related to Civil Engineer that you feel is relevant or deserving of the Scholarship.
- A student cannot win the same achievement award two consecutive years. However, even if they have won 2nd or 3rd last year, they can still apply again for this year.
Candidate Evaluation Criteria:
- ASCE Involvement/Leadership - 20%
- Video - 40%
- Grades - 10%
- Civil Engineering Activities (University & Professional) - 10%
- Community Involvement/Volunteerism - 10%
- On-time Registration for History & Heritage Night - 10%
- Faculty Advisor’s Recommendation Letter
The candidates will be evaluated based on the above criteria. Faculty Advisors are encouraged to prepare a brief recommendation for each applicant if they know them well enough to do so.
The ASCE Orange County Branch Achievement Award will be honored in the form of a check payable to the individual student and presented at the virtual ASCE Orange County Branch History & Heritage / Student Night Dinner on November 4th-5th, 2020. A short bio and professional photo will be required for awarded applicants.
Awards will be given to the students in approximately the following amounts: *
1st Place Qualified Candidate: $3,000 (Gary Gilbert Memorial Scholarship)
2nd Place Qualified Candidate: $2,000
3rd Place Qualified Candidate: $1,000
*Note: The money allocation is subject to change, and will vary depending on the number of students applying for the scholarship. There may be more candidates awarded than indicated above.
For any questions, please contact Ravi Shah at: [email protected]
PLEASE NOTE YOU SHOULD GET A CONFIRMATION SCREEN AFTER YOU SUBMIT. IF YOU DO NOT GET IT, PLEASE TRY AGAIN AND POSSIBLY TRY A DIFFERENT BROWSER.
Fields marked with * are required.