City of Anaheim Water System
The City of Anaheim Water System was founded in September 15, 1879. The initial system consisted of 20,000 gallon redwood storage tank, one well, and about one mile of wooden water main. Monthly rates were 25 cents per family, 25 cents per horse, and 25 cents per dozen chickens. By the end of that year the volume of water used was 4,000 gallons per day. Water meters were first installed in 1890.
By 1942 Anaheim took advantage of the supply from Metropolitan Water District of Southern California and in 1998 more than 300,000 people were being served and daily water consumption for Anaheim was 67 million gallons per day.
The City of Anaheim Water System was designated an Orange County Local Historical Civil Engineering Landmark in 1982 and the plaque was dedciated in the City of Anaheim West Public Utilities Office, Anaheim CA.