Orange County Branch Newsletter
Request for Volunteers
By Gary Gilbert, PE, GE, Env SP
The K-12 Outreach Committee is working hard this year to increase the number of students we reach this year with events. We have been contacted by schools in Anaheim, Tustin, Lake Forest, and Anaheim to assist with current planned STEM activities or present at the schools. Below is a summary of some planned upcoming K-12 Opportunities for 2015/16 School Year:
- October 17 - SteppingUP Career Day at CSUF. Looking for 2 volunteers!
- October 8 (tentative) - PSBC Kick-Off Meeting with LA and SB/Riv (Conference call)
- February 20, 2016 - Popsicle Stick Bridge Competition at ARTIC
- March 2016 (tentative) - Solar Panel Cars – 8th Grade Science Classes at Brookhurst Junior High
- Mid April 2016 - Orange County Science and Engineering Fair
- May 2016 - 2nd/8th Grade Saturday Science Day
- May 2016 (tentative) - Junior High through University Level Spaghetti Bridge Competition at Cal State Fullerton
The K-12 Outreach committee has the following openings and all experience levels are welcome
- K-12 Outreach Co-chair to track the schools members are participating in events and scheduling monthly conference calls to share opportunities with members of the committee.
- Popsicle Stick Bridge Competition Subcommittee is looking for assistance with the following - Venue Coordination, Rules Book Development, Judging, Registration, Fundraising, Swag, Media/Advertsing, and Awards/Scoring.
- Presenters at the School Visitations - Traning from experienced ASCE presenters provided to new participants
- Mentorship with Teachers - Meet with teachers to discuss the current science curriculum and see if there are opportunities to incorporate engineering concepts into the curriculum. Assistance provided by the committee on activities and from technical groups/institutes for specifici areas.
- Judging at school, district, and county science fairs.
If you are interested in the any of the opportunities presented, please contact Kfirstname.lastname@example.org. We are also interested in opportunities members may have that we can assist with. We appreciate our members support.