Orange County Branch Newsletter
ASCE OC YMF - 1st Annual Jog-A-Thon
By Oscar Rivera
ASCE OC YMF hosted its first annual Jog-A-Thon fundraiser at Crean Lutheran High School in Irvine, CA, to raise funds for scholarships and other outreach activities for local university ASCE Student Chapters, which included California State University Long Beach (CSULB), California State University Fullerton (CSUF), and University of California Irvine (UCI). A special shout out to UCI for bringing the most students!
Participants in 2014 ASCE OC YMF Jog-A-Thon
The event also drew local and regional ASCE leaders and industry professionals which included:
- Jennifer Epp, P.E. (ASCE Region 9 Director, Central Coast Regional Water Quality Control Board)
- Penny Lew, P.E. (ASCE OC Branch President, Orange County Public Works, Project Manager - OCPW)
- Gary Gilbert, P.E., G.E. (ASCE OC Branch Vice President, Project Manager - Diaz-Yourman & Associates)
- Cindy Miller, P.E. (ASCE OC Branch Treasurer, Vice President-Water Resources - RBF / Baker International)
- Steven King, P.E. (ASCE OC Branch Secretary, Project Manager - Orange County Transportation Authority, OCTA)
- Ignacio "Nacho" Ochoa, P.E. (former Orange County Public Works Director of Engineering)
- John Hogan, P.E., LEED AP (former ASCE LA Section President, Hall & Foreman, Inc.)
ASCE Leaders: Jennifer Epp, John Hogan, Cindy Miller, and Gary Gilbert
Talking Shop: Ignacio “Nacho” Ochoa and Steven King
Everyone walked or jogged for a majority of the event, with two awesome participants jogging the entire time (2 full hours)! The ASCE industry leaders mingled with the students and provided valuable insight and excellent stories. With everyone’s combined efforts we were able to raise over $3,500 and burn 1000’s of calories! At the end of the event, each participant was entered in a raffle for some awesome prizes that included gift cards to places such as REI, Whole Foods, iTunes, and gifts like a brand new Amazon Kindle Fire! Following the Jog-A-Thon, many of the industry guests and students joined together for lunch at BJ’s Brewery Restaurant in Irvine where they shared pizza and some more conversation. Overall, the event was a great success and all who attended were in support of continuing the tradition for years to come.
Thank you to all those who pledged funds on behalf of the joggers. We look forward to next year’s ASCE OC YMF Jog-A-Thon!