Orange County Branch Newsletter
Career Opportunities for February 2015
Geotechnical Engineer at The Sanitation Districts of Los Angeles County (Closing date 2/13/15 at 11:59PM)
The Los Angeles County Sanitation Districts (LACSD) are a public agency created under state law to manage wastewater and solid waste on a regional scale and consist of 24 independent special districts serving about 5.5 million people in Los Angeles County. The service area covers approximately 824 square miles and encompasses 78 cities and unincorporated territory within the county.
LACSD is currently seeking a qualified Geotechnical Engineer to support its Engineering Department. The work involves providing geotechnical and soils engineering support for the design and construction of
wastewater treatment and solid waste disposal facilities.
The expected job duties involve approximately 25% field work (at LACSD facilities within California) and 75% office work, including:
- performing geotechnical investigations in support of structure design and preparing stamped reports/specifications/drawings, including findings, data analyses and design/construction recommendations;
- reviewing proposed project scope-of-work and site conditions, existing geotechnical information, and developing subsurface investigation plans, and geotechnical construction quality assurance (CQA)
- writing request for proposals, evaluating proposal responses, and making recommendations for subsurface investigations and CQA programs;
- managing and monitoring consultant’s schedules, payment, and coordinating site work with Districts’ staff;
- reviewing geotechnical investigation reports and interpreting field and laboratory testing data and recommendations;
- providing as-needed support to study and resolve alternative design approaches and construction issues with consultants, contractors, and permitting agencies;
- writing concise and professional memos, letters, and reports;
- reviewing, researching, and providing comments on design reports, construction drawings, specifications, submittals, RFIs, extra work, and change order claims.
Minimum Qualifications: Master of Science degree in civil or geotechnical engineering or a related field, and 10 years of experience as a registered California Civil/Geotechnical Engineer. Possession of a valid California Driver License is also required.
Desirable Qualifications: The ideal candidate will have technical proficiency in geotechnical investigations, laboratory testing, geotechnical engineering analyses, seismic design considerations and earthworkconstruction for infrastructure projects; excellent verbal, writing, and organizational skills; be highly motivated and a self-starter; and have a minimum of 10 years of experience working with and/or for public agencies.
Senior Project Engineer @ Harris & Associates
You are a professional engineer with a passion for design, client management and solving the infrastructure problems of tomorrow.
You thrive on challenges.
You want to work for a different kind of engineering firm. A firm where you can make an impact, become an owner, and where the leadership is looking for your contribution to shape Harris’ vision with your great ideas.
If this describes you, you’re in the right place.
Harris & Associates seeks a dynamic Senior Project Engineer to join its growing Engineering Practice team. Harris & Associates is a 100% employee-owned firm focused on solving today’s complex challenges in construction and design. Since 2010, Harris transferred 100% ownership to employees, stepped-up employees’ professional development, and re-organized to expand our leadership and growth opportunities.
Our offices and project sites span the west coast, in California, Nevada and Washington with a staff of more than 200 employee-owners. We focus on serving clients in the education, transportation, water/wastewater and community service markets.
In this position, you will work with cities, counties and other public sector clients to develop creative, sustainable solutions. We offer a dynamic, progressive environment that requires adaptability, energy and continued collaboration with everyone in the organization.
- Any combination equivalent to experience and education that would provide the required knowledge and abilities such as:
- Minimum of 6 years of design project management experience - emphasis in public works design for agencies in Southern California.
- College degree, Civil Engineering
- Professional Civil Engineering License in California
- Computer skills including AutoCAD, LandDesktop, Civil 3-D, Microstation, MSWord, Excel, MS Project and other software used by the Design group.
- Ability to perform engineering calculations, clearly documenting methodology used and checking work.
- Research and write specifications and reports relating to project assignments.
- Ability to oversee the work of project engineers and technicians.
Harris & Associates is an EEO employer committed to excellence through diversity. We offer competitive salaries and benefits, including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance.
If your company is interested in posting a Career Opporunity - the rates are $150 for one month or $200 for two months. If you are interested in posting and open position, please send an email to [email protected]