Orange County Branch Newsletter
Branch Luncheon - Sustainability in Transportation
By Sam Ali, PE, LEED AP, ENV SP
The Sustainability Committee and the ASCE-OC Branch organized this luncheon event on Jul 19, 2018 covering the subject of Sustainability in Transportation. The three presenters shared how each agency is implementing sustainability in their transportation infrastructure.
Juliet Su, PE, Corridor Manager-Design at the Transportation Corridor Agency (TCA) covered:
- How TCA integrates sustainability into its engineering projects.
- Promoting sustainability principles on TCA’s roadways.
- TCA is creating mitigation sites to preserve local species and providing protective measures for wildlife along toll roads such as wildlife crossings and treated metal fence along the corridors.
Paul Martin, PE, TE, LCI, Active Transportation Coordinator at Orange County Transportation Agency (OCTA) covered:
- Countywide planning efforts underway at OCTA.
- Collaborative efforts to host community events and marketing campaigns to address safety related to active transportation.
- Funding opportunities that are well suited for local agency pursuits.
Barbara P. Marquez, Deputy District Director, Sustainability at Caltrans District 7 covered:
- Overview of Caltrans’ Sustainability Program with specific emphasis on efforts within Los Angeles, Ventura, and Orange Counties.
- Active transportation and complete streets in Caltrans projects.
The meeting was attended by more than 80 participants and the presentations were followed by a Q&A session. Thanks to the presenters and to all who participated and supported this meeting.