Orange County Branch Newsletter
ASCE OC Programs
Golf Tournament 2017
By By Josue Vaglienty, PE
ASCE OC topped the 100 mark with 106 players (a new record for ASCE OC) participating in the 2017 Annual ASCE OC Golf Tournament held this past June 9th at Oak Creek Golf Club in Irvine, CA. ASCE OC-Branch, ASCE OC-Younger Member Forum (YMF), and ASCE Student Chapters provided volunteer support to welcome players, get them registered, and encourage them to socialize before, during, and after the tourney. The mix of players included individuals representing local civil engineering firms, public agencies, and product/service vendors.
In advance of the tournament, players were provided free range balls to warm up as well as a hot breakfast to sustain them for a few hours. Players were then escorted to their carts to listen to the scramble play format rules announced by Oak Creek. Soon after all the carts made their way through the course to their designated tees to start the tournament. Once again, this year we had some great booth sponsors including Chambers Group, Contech, and Koury Engineering & C-Below providing intermittent “pit-stops” for all players. Koury Engineering & C-Below’s booth continued their tradition of providing an awesome margarita station. Photography and aerial drone footage for the day was provided courtesy of Jom Thaipejr (AECOM).
The luncheon featured some remarks from Ryan, our special guest and 13-year old CEO of E-Bob ebobapparel.com, which provided this year’s promo hat for all players. Also, the ASCE OC Branch officers thanked all of the Annual and Golf Tournament Sponsors that helped make the event our biggest and most successful golf tourney. The banquet featured raffle prizes that were awarded to the lucky winners which included new Taylormade golf equipment, certificates for year-long membership at Oak Creek Golf Club, Angels tickets, Amazon Echos, and an Apple Watch, and many other gift cards, among other prizes.
This year’s winning teams and contest winners:
- 1st Place (Net): EBSD, OCWD, City of Newport Beach (Mike Dunbar, John Kennedy, Andy Komar, Mike Sinacori)
- 2nd Place (Net): AECOM / HNTB / Ninyo & Moore (Tim Maurier, Bryan Paine, Stephen Bray, Kurt Yoshi)
- 3rd Place (Net): Mark Thomas & Co (Art Vivar, Ravi Shah, Kekoa Anderson, Cesar Carrillo)
- “Closest to the Pin” Hole #3 Winner – Nick Loera Cesar XXX, Nick Loera, Joshua Nelson
- “Closest to the Pin” Hole #7 Winner – Cesar Carrillo (8’-6”)
- “Closest to the Pin” Hole #11 Winner – Alex Moreno (5’-5”)
- “Closest to the Pin” Hole #17 Winner – Andy Komar (8’-2”)
- “Longest Drive” Hole #1 Winner – David Naish
- “Straightest Drive” Hole #13 Winner – Charlie Carter
Didn't see your photo? CLICK HERE to view more event photos on our Google Drive!
ASCE OC would like to extend their gratitude to all of the golf tournament sponsors, especially our returning Platinum Sponsor: Thompson Pipe Group. Also, many thanks to our Annual and Golf Tournament Sponsors (see Sponsorship Poster below). Special thanks to:
- Kathereen Shinkai (LPA Inc) for being an awesome golf tourney co-chair;
- Jazzy Quinabo (Jacobs) for her expert event coordinating skills; and
- All the volunteers from ASCE OC Branch, ASCE OC YMF, and ASCE Student Chapters