Orange County Branch Newsletter
ASCE OC K-12 Outreach Committee
Starting Off Strong in 2018
By Isamar Escobar, E.I.T.
ASCE’s K-12 Committee has started off the year in high gear. We have had several events through February and have many more planned for the rest of the year.
• On January 27th, ASCE members served as volunteers and judges at the Academic Decathlon event in Tustin High School.
• On January 31st, our Committee Co-chair, Isamar Escobar presented at Audeo Charter School’s Career Day.
• During E-Week, we had two events on Friday, February 23rd.
⁃ Our K-12 Co-Chair Jenny Mital and committee members Evelyn Tran and Crystal Mena collaborated with the Boys and Girls Club of Garden Grove to host a Dream Big showing event at Patton Elementary School. The event consisted of approximately thirty elementary students and started with an introductory presentation by the three ASCE volunteers. The students then watched the film and a 15-minute Q&A followed. The students were very engaged and asked many questions regarding civil engineering and the Dream Big film.
⁃ Our K-12 Co-Chair Isamar Escobar and committee members Victor Aguirre, Cristen Alvarez and Mike Cattabiani helped run a Spaghetti Marshmallow Tower activity during Rancho Canada Elementary’s Science Technology Engineering Art and Math (STEAM) night. Throughout the night, elementary students and their parents visited the ASCE room to build the tallest tower possible.
ASCE OC K-12 volunteer opportunities coming up include:
• March 15th - STEM Night at Perry Elementary
• March 24th - Saddleback Valley Unified School District STEM Expo
• Late April/Early May - Dream Big Event that will include booth and activities from ASCE’s institutes and other engineering organizations
If you are interested in becoming involved or volunteering for any of the above events please contact Isamar Escobar or Jenny Mital at [email protected].