Orange County Branch Newsletter
ASCE OC Branch Events
Annual Golf Tournament
Jeff Braun, P.E.
It was another record year for the 2018 ASCE OC Golf Tournament on June 22. Maybe not on the scorecards, but the 132 golfers were 26 more than last year’s record attendance. It was once again a beautiful day for golf at the Oak Creek Golf Club in Irvine, CA. The morning started with a warm welcome at the reception table, hot breakfast sandwiches and coffee, and some loosening up on the driving range. Then teams gathered at their carts for the shotgun send-off, where the players who represented local civil firms, public agencies, and product/service vendors went out to show off their game, win some prizes, and make some friends on the course. We wrapped up the event by recognizing the top performing teams, raffling off prizes, and enjoying a great lunch.
Thanks to the great work of our Golf Tournament Committee led by OC YMF President, Chuck Karunathilake, golfers were treated to food and drinks, opportunities to check out Teslas prior to teeing off, win a Camaro with a hole-in-one, fire a golf-gun, participate in a raffle with prizes including golf equipment totaling over $1,000, Angels tickets, smart-home accessories, Oak Creek Golf Club memberships, and a few bottles of adult refreshment. The Oak Creek staff once again provided a great venue and made sure the day progressed smoothly for the players and our volunteers.
While all of us had fun, many of the golfers performed well enough to talk some trash on the course and even earn some recognition during the lunch.
This year’s winning teams and contest winners were:
- 1st Place (Net): Parsons (Kim Strassner, Steve Lees, Kevin Michalski, Tim Hoang)
- 2nd Place (Net): WKE (Rafael Anaya, Joseph Carbajal, Diane Vu)
- 3rd Place (Net): Kimley-Horn, Cox, Majestic Realty, City Ventures (Tyler Holst, Jeff Hull, Michelle Thrakulchavee
- 1st Place (Gross): EBSD (Michael Dunbar, John Kennedy, Andy Komar, Doug Reinhart)
- “Closest to the Pin” Hole #3 Winner – Nate Forrest (4’)
- “Closest to the Pin” Hole #11 Winner – Aaron Bishop (4’-1”)
- “Closest to the Pin” Hole #17 Winner – Zach Mitchell (3’)
- “Longest Drive Ladies” Hole #15 Winner – Jan Candela
- “Longest Drive Ladies” Hole #15 Winner – Rick Walsh
- “Straightest Drive Ladies” Hole #13 Winner – Monica Oki
- “Straightest Drive Men” Hole #13 Winner – Kamyar Dibaj
Didn't see your photo? CLICK HERE to view more event photos on our Google Drive!
We had several generous sponsors who helped make the tournament successful, including C-Below, who sustained the margarita station tradition helping thirsty golfers continue through the rounds. Our tournament sponsors are shown on the picture below:
On behalf of the ASCE OC Board and our fellow Branch members, I’d like to extend our thanks to our Annual Sponsors and Golf Tournament Sponsors.
We would also like to give special thanks to:
- Chuck Karunathilake – Golf Committee Chair
- Jason Fix, Jared Lindo, Ravi Shah, Sarita Lemons, Peace Maari, Kathereen Shinkai, Josue Vaglienty, Ashlyn Alexander,
- All the volunteers from ASCE OC Branch, ASCE OC YMF, and ASCE Student Chapters