Orange County Branch Newsletter
Join us for the Annual ASCE OC Branch Awards Dinner - February 18, 2016
Come Join Us for the 2016 ASCE OC Awards Dinner!
The Orange County Branch is recognizing outstanding individuals and projects in civil engineering at our annual February Awards dinner. Celebrate with us this year as our event will be held on Thursday, February 18, 2016 at Seven Degrees in Laguna Beach.
I want to thank all of you who submitted nominations this year! Without your nominations, we would not have learned about all the wonderful projects and civil engineers we have here in Orange County.
For event details and to register, please see below, or call our administrative office at (714)258-8306. If you have any questions, please contact me at (714) 647-3990 or email [email protected] .
The selection committee for the awards is comprised of a number of ASCE OC Branch Presidents. This year, the committee members were:
- Steven King, PE President 2015-16
- Gary Gilbert, PE, GE, ENV SP President 2014-15
- Penny Lew, PE (Chair) President 2013-14
- Tapas Dutta, PE President 2012-13
- Ziad Mazboudi, PE President 2010-11
- Kathereen Shinkai, PE President 2009-10
- Ken Rosenfield, PE President 2008-09
- Yazdan Emrani, PE President 2006-07
- John Hogan, PE President 2005-06
- Randall Berry, PE President 2002-03
My heartfelt “thanks” goes to the committee for taking the time during and after the holidays to review the many nominations we received and for participating in our lively debate (as expected) to finalize the list of award winners!
This year’s winners are listed below.
The project award winners are:
- Project of the Year
West County Connectors
- Airports & Ports Project
- Architectural Engineering Project
- Bikeways & Trails Project
Oso Creek Multi-Use Trail
- Bridge Project
Lincoln Avenue Widening Over the Santa Ana River
- Community Improvement Project
PCH/Del Prado Street Improvements
- Construction Project
Brookhurst Street Widening Project
- Energy Project
Waste to Energy
- Environmental Engineering Project
Newport Beach's Harbor Litter Removal Project
- Flood Management Project
Newland, Edinger, and East Garden Grove Wintersburg Storm Channel Confluence System
- Geotechnical Project
Cow Camp Road Design - Phases 1A & 1B
- Historical Renovation Project
Laguna Beach Festival of Arts Facade/Entrance Project
- Parks & Recreation Project
New Ocelot Exhibit at the Santa Ana Zoo
- Roadway & Highway Project
Bristol Street Improvements Phase II
- Small Project
Gilbert Street Improvements
- Structural Engineering Project
Cow Camp Road Design - Phases 1A & 1B
- Sustainable Engineering Project
City of San Clemente Recycled Water Expansion Project
- Transportation Project
I-5/SR-74 Interchange Improvement Project
- Urban or Land Development Project
Alegre Affordable Apartments
- Water Project
Gobernadora Multipurpose Basin
- Water/Wastewater Treatment Project
Groundwater Replenishment System Initial Expansion
- Project Collaboration
Cerritos Avenue Reconstruction and Sanitary Sewer Improvement Project
The individual award winners are:
- Outstanding Civil Engineer in the Public Sector
Kevin Onuma, P.E.
- Outstanding Civil Engineer in the Private Sector
Fred Minagar, P.E.
- Outstanding Civil Engineer in Community Service
Amy Choi, E.I.T.
- Outstanding Civil Engineer in Legislative Activities
Ravi Shah, P.E.
- Outstanding YMF Officer
Roxanne Follis, E.I.T.
- Outstanding ASCE Faculty Advisor
Amir Aghakouchak, Ph.D., P.E.
- Outstanding ASCE Life Member
Harvey Gobas, P.E.
- Outstanding Younger Civil Engineer
Mujahid Chandoo, P.E.
- Outstanding Civil Engineering Student
- Lifetime Achievement Award
Tom Bogard, P.E.
- Excellence in Journalism
Dr. Adrian Moore
- Excellence in Promotion of Infrastructure
Ryan Chamberlain, Caltrans D12 Director
- Land Development Engineer of the Year
Jeff Okamoto, P.E.