Employer: TranSystems CorporationAddress
6 Hutton Centre Drive, Suite 800
Santa Ana, CA 92707
Job Title: Structural Engineer
For more than 50 years, TranSystems has provided engineering and architectural planning, design and construction solutions to enhance the movement of goods and people across today’s integrated transportation infrastructure. Headquartered in Kansas City, Mo., its professionals in more than 30 offices throughout the U.S. perform a broad range of services to all sectors of the transportation and federal marketplaces. Services are delivered throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to construction to long-term operations, maintenance and rehabilitation.
TranSystems has an immediate need for a Jr structural engineer with 5+ years of experience.
The position will help develop structural construction drawings and details. The Jr structural engineer will provide design and analytical support to the Project Manager and Structural Engineer on various building, bridge, and roadway projects. Design, detailing, and calculations will of concrete, masonry, steel, timber and specialty structures, including but not limited to bridges, retaining walls, signs, and or waterfront structures. The candidate will assist team members across all aspect within TranSystems including the Building team, the Bridge team, and various other support role teams, and assisting the Roadway team on Caltrans and local transportation authority projects on an as needed basis.
Requirements and Responsibilities:
Work as part of a multi-discipline design team to complete all phases of the construction documents. Production of detailed calculations and drawings, layouts, sketches, and graphical representations of engineering designs utilized CADD and engineering software.
- Analyzes information and data to perform routine design tasks.
- Makes decisions independently on engineering problems and methods, and occasionally represents the organization in meetings to resolve important questions, and to plan and coordinate work.
- Receives instructions from Project Manager or Senior Project Engineers as to the general results expected.
- Receives technical guidance on unusual or complex problems and supervisory approval on proposed plans for projects.
- Responsible for accuracy of engineering design and plans, quality presentation, thoroughness and follow-through, and efficient conformance to budgets, schedules, and company standards.
- Research design options and document findings for Senior Project Engineer.
- Maintains project database by writing computer programs; entering and backing up data.
- Keeps Senior Project Manager informed of workload and any changes in project schedule or scope or additional services.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Usually performs as a staff advisor and consultant to technical specialty.
Supervisory Responsibilities – No supervisory responsibilities.
Qualifications – To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative, of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education/Experience – Bachelor’s degree in the engineering field (i.e. Civil, Structural) required with 5 years of design experience preferred.
Language Ability – Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Seeks opportunity to develop ability to speak effectively before small groups of customers or employees of organization concerning project aspects they were involved with.
Computer Skills - Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Office, and various engineering software systems depending on engineering discipline: AutoCAD; MicroStation/GeoPak; In Roads, Land Desktop, and Civil 3D.
Certificates and Licenses – Registration as a licensed Professional Engineer preferred but not required.
Work Environment - The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions, depending on field assignments.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, however, construction and field assignments can be severe (i.e. Airport noise, inside factories, construction equipment, jack hammers, etc.).
Physical Demands - The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions, depending on field assignments.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and use hand and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and telephone keyboard. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, talk or hear, and drive a car. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include ability to adjust focus.
- Analytical – Applies knowledge of engineering principles and practices in area of assignments and related fields; requires the use of advanced techniques and practices of the engineering field and related sciences and disciplines.
- Problem Solving – Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Uses computer to solve engineering problems and improve the project team’s design process. Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Works well in group problem solving situations.
- Client Service - Responds promptly to client needs; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments; Maintains confidentiality.
- Communication - Listens and gets clarification; Participates in meetings; Writes clearly and informatively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Team Work - Balances team and individual responsibilities; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit.
- Leadership – Management skills are being developed are preferred but not required.
- Adaptability - Manages competing demands; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Sets goals and objectives; Maintains neat and organized work area that allows efficient access to project information as required by other team members; Ability to create and maintain project records.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
TranSystems is an equal opportunity / affirmative action employer and ensures nondiscrimination and equal employment opportunity in all programs and activities in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, pregnancy status, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, citizenship status, disability, protected Veteran status or any other status protected by law. In compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, we will hire only U.S. citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States (if the position is or will be one that is subject to U.S. law.